Thursday, March 8, 2012

Carrot-Ginger Wheat Bread (ABM)

Just when I think I have things figured out... The Universe proves me wrong. When I bought my bread machine (some 5 years ago) I picked up a bunch of used recipe books. All but two of them have gone by the wayside: Better Home & Gardens, and Betty Crocker. Two trusted names in my kitchen.

The BHG cookbook is occasionally disappointing as the bread taste tends to be weak, so I decided that for this recipe I would make the spice a little stronger... and of course it turned out the recipe is probably just fine. The dough did mix up a little dry so I added an additional 1 tbsp milk during one of the mixing cycles. The only change I would consider making is next time cooking the carrots slightly before using as the taste was very strong. On the plus side, this loaf had great texture and a rustic appearance. This recipe is for 1-1/2lb loaf.

1 cup finely shredded carrot
1 cup milk
2 tbsp shortening
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup bread flour
3 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
1 tbsp brown sugar
3/4 tsp grated gingerroot or 1/4 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp salt
1-2 tsp active dry yeast

Add ingredients to machine according to manufacturer's directions, adding the carrot with the milk. For my machine, the order is liquid ingredients, followed by dry with yeast added last.

I set my machine to the whole wheat setting with a light crust.

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...