Thursday, February 9, 2012

Sweet Potato and Apple Bread (ABM)

This loaf turned out beautifully, even though I still haven't replenished my bread flour supply. The sweet potato and apple flavors are very subtle - which seems to be my biggest complaint with this cookbook. I want bread with more pronounced flavors. I did pop this loaf into the freezer to serve with soup at a later date.

Recipe makes 1-1/2 lb loaf

3/4 cup water
1/2 cup sweet potato, peeled and chopped
milk
1 cup apple, peeled and shredded
2 tsp margarine or butter
3-1/2 cups bread flour
1 tbsp brown sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1-2 tsp active dry yeast

In a small saucepan combine water and potato. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cook, covered, about 8 minutes or until very tender. DO NOT DRAIN. Mash potato in the water. Measure the potato-water mixture. Add enough milk to make 1 cup total. Cool to room temperature.

Add ingredients to machine according to manufacturer's directions. For my machine, I add all of the liquid ingredients first, followed by dry ingredients and add the yeast last.

I set my machine to 1.5lb loaf, basic setting, light crust.

Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Bread Machine Bounty 1992

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...