Friday, February 17, 2012

Chocolate Ribbon Cookies

Here's another recipe from my mom's files. Possibly one of my favorite cookies from childhood. I was disappointed that my kiddos didn't like them. It's hard to explain why they are so good... the firm soft texture and the burst of chocolate flavor... on second thought, I'm kind of glad I get these all to myself!

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup butter
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2-1/2 cups flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder

In a small bowl, melt chips in the microwave or over double boiler, and set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, cream together butter, sugar, egg and vanilla.

Add flour and baking powder. The dough is usually very stiff and I have to finish mixing it [literally] by hand.

Set aside 1/3 of the dough. Mix melted chocolate with remaining 2/3 of dough. Please use the mixer! The chocolate makes this dough soft and sticky so it can't be kneaded.

Divide chocolate dough in half.

Line a bread pan (9x5x3) with saran wrap, enough to completely fold over the top. Press half of the chocolate dough evenly into the bottom of the pan. Press plain dough over the layer of chocolate. Press remaining chocolate dough over the vanilla. Cover with saran wrap and chill for 1 hour.
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. After chilled, remove dough from saran wrap. Cut dough in half the long way. Cut each half into 1/4" slices. Bake sliced on an ungreased cookie sheet for 7-8 minutes.

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...