Saturday, January 28, 2012

Sausage and Lentil Soup

I made this but haven't eaten it yet. It was a rough weekend in the kitchen, nothing was turning out right, but I desperately wanted to try this soup recipe. So, I made it (and let me tell you, from the smell of it, it's going to be amazing when I do get to eat it) and promptly popped it in the freezer.

I think soups are an excellent idea for stocking a freezer, so I'm sure you'll be seeing more around here. I packaged this one up in two single-serve containers for grab-n-go work lunches and one big container for a family meal. If I make this again for freezing I'd skip adding the spinach (it doesn't freeze very pretty), but I needed to use up what was in my fridge.
1 medium onion, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
1/4 lb smoked sausage, halved and thinly sliced
1 medium carrot, halved and thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 14-1/2 oz can chicken broth
1/3 cup water
1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp pepper
14 oz (approx) can stewed tomatoes, cut up
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 cup chopped fresh spinach

In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook and stir onion and celery over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the sausage, carrot and garlic; cook 2-3 minutes longer or until onion is tender.

Stir in the broth, water, lentils, oregano, cumin and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until lentils and begetables are tender.

Stir in the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and spinach; cook until heated through and the spinach is wilted.

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...