Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Teriyaki Beef Stew (Crockpot)

Go make this right.NOW! I'm not kidding. This is one of the best meals to EVER come out of my crockpot. I was, honestly, skeptical because I am not a fan of peas. I was willing to overlook the peas because the meat was so tender and flavorful, although next time I am going to cut down the amount of peas.

I made this on a weekend because I didn't think it would work well during the week due to the extra cooking time for the sauce to "gravy up". I actually forgot to turn the crockpot to high after adding the cornstarch mixture and peas and by the time the rice was done it had a very nice gravy going. I think this would also be great as a freezer meal, thawed and re-heated in the microwave while cooking the rice.
2 lbs beef stew meat
12 oz ginger beer or ginger ale [used ginger ale]
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp cold water
2 cups frozen peas, thawed
Hot cooked rice

In a large nonstick skillet, brown beef (in batches if necessary). Transfer to a 3 quart slow cooker.
In a small bowl, combine the ginger beer/ale, teriyaki sauce, garlic and sesame seeds; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.

In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Stir in peas. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour or until gravy is thickened. Serve with rice if desired.

Recipe from Taste of Home Contest Winners 2011 Recipe Book

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...