Friday, January 6, 2012

Creamy Corn Chowder

I was skeptical about this recipe because it has creamed corn in it (I'm not a fan), but I gave it a go to round out my menu options. I'm glad I did because it truly turned out like chowder and other than a slight sweetness the creamed corn didn't distract me from inhaling this soup. This chowder is versatile as cooked chicken could be added to it to make it a meal or it would be great served as a first course to grilled chicken and asparagus. Changes to original recipe are noted in brackets.

Cooking spray [omitted]
1 tbsp. light tub margarine [used butter]
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1-1/4 cups water
1 small baking potato, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes, about 1 cup
14 oz. (approx) can no-salt-added cream-style corn, undrained [no idea how you would drain it anyways and I used regular creamed corn]
1-1/2 cups frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
1-2 tsp sugar [used slightly less than 1]
1 tsp salt-free powdered chicken bouillon [used 1 cube]
1/4 tsp salt [skipped because creamed corn and bouillon was not salt-free]
1/8 tsp white pepper [used black, would use more for personal taste]
1 cup half and half
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tbsp minced fresh parsley [used 1 tbsp dried]

Lightly spray a medium saucepan with cooking spray. [skipped because my pan was teflon coated] Melt the margarine over medium heat. Add the onion and celery. Cook for 5 minutes, or until soft but not brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in the water, potato, both corns, sugar, bouillon, salt and pepper. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are just tender, stirring occasionally.

Pour the half-and-half into a small bowl and whisk in the flour. Stir into the soup. Sitr in the parsley. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the soup has thickened, stirring frequently.

Recipe from American Heart Association Heart-Healthy Recipes, 2011

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...