Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Orange Fruit Dip

This went together very quickly. The kids and I tried it with apples, vanilla wafers and Liebniz crackers (cookies. biscuits. whatever). I liked it best with the wafers and crackers - so I think it goes best when paired with sweeter fruit such as bananas or strawberries. The dip did seem runny, I'm not sure if that's my inability to boil things for the required amount of time or if there's too much liquid in the recipe. Next time, I'm going to decrease the orange juice just a bit, as well as the orange and lemon peel, I felt it was too overwhelming. As far as fruit dip goes though, it didn't make the kids favorite list.

1 cup sugar
2 tbsp plus 1 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup orange juice [try 3/4 cup next time]
1/2 cup water
juice from two lemons
1/2 tsp grated orange peel [next time cut amount in half]
1/2 tsp grated lemon peel [next time cut amount in half]
Assorted fresh fruit, crackers, etc. for dipping

In a small sauce pan (not over heat), combine sugar, cornstarch and salt; stir in the orange juice, water, lemon juice and orange and lemon peel until blended.

Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

Cover and refrigerate until chilled.

Serve with fruit or other fun dipping foods.

Recipe from Taste of Home Good Food Kids Love Oct 2006

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...