Sunday, July 24, 2011

Cranberry Strawberry Spinach Salad

I don't have a picture of this because... well, I was a tad bit frantic the night I made this. The wind was howling, the rain was pouring down and I was pretty sure were all going to die. I also had a house full of unexpected company for supper, about half of which were children under the age of ten. I think I may have broken some dishes that night as well. It was chaotic and crazy, but I will be making my version of this salad again, so there will be a picture added soon! [famous last words but whatever]

I found this recipe over on Darla's blog. I made some tweaks to the recipe [noted in brackets] not so much because I thought her recipe was wrong but... well, that's just what I do okay?

FOR THE DRESSING:
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons sugar [I used 1 tbsp because I thought it would be too sweet]
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar [I used red wine vinegar]
2 tablespoons cider vinegar [I used regular vinegar]
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted 350 degrees for 10 minutes [I didn't toast my seeds]
full pinch paprika [I had no paprika so I used a little more than a pinch of Cayenne Pepper, which was a nice spicy bite to go with the sweet]

FOR THE SALAD:
1/2 lb. (8 ounces) spinach, rinsed
1/2 cup fresh, finely diced onion
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup blanched and slivered almonds, toasted 350 degrees for 10 minutes
[The cranberries and almonds are where I deviated as well. I bought a bag of Salad Makers dried cranberries with sugared walnuts (that's why I cut the sugar down in the dressing and no toasting involved) and also added thinly sliced strawberries.]

Put all dressing ingredients in a jar, put the lid on tight and shake the crap out of it.

Put all the salad ingredients in a bowl with room for tossing.

Add dressing and toss until all ingredients are evenly distributed.

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...