Saturday, May 28, 2011

S'Mores Cookies

I found this recipe over at GillyCakes blog. I'm not a huge marshmallow fan, but there is something magical about S'mores so I had to try this. I struggled a little bit getting the cookies to bake without completely melting the marshmallows (which is why you're not getting any pictures), until I figured out that I didn't need to put the cookies back in the oven - my cookies were cooked through and still soft enough to hold the marshmallows and chocolate pieces. I did make one alteration because I find that most cookie recipes use more chocolate/nuts/raisins/candies than I care for (I'm the same way about DQ Blizzards - I ask for light toppings and it's just a hair over perfect) so I did reduce the chocolate chips by half. Next time I make this I'm going to try two alterations: a little less salt and a little more graham crackers. I've noted what I would use in brackets [ ].
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup graham cracker crumbs [1-1/2 cups]
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt [3/4 to 1/2 tsp]
1 dash of cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups miniature chocolate chips  [1 cup]
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
2 Hershey bars, chopped

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a medium bowl combine the flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking soda, salt, and dash of cinnamon.

In a second larger bowl beat together the butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract until creamy.
Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Slowly beat in the flour mixture until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake for 8 minutes, and remove from the oven.
 
Push 3 to 4 marshmallows and a few pieces of hershey bar into each cookies.

Return to the oven and bake an additional 3-4 minutes until fully cooked. [If your oven is temperamental like mine, I would bake the cookies fully. They should be soft enough to still hold the marshmallow and chocolate pieces.]

Cool cookies on a wire rack.

Makes approximately 4 dozen cookies.

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...