Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Tacos (American Style)

This recipe isn't exotic. Or original. It's how I make tacos at my house and we like 'em. We always have our tacos with guac and chips. (Yeah, yeah, I like mine without lettuce. Sue me.) Here's the guac recipe:

1 avocado
some onion
some garlic
jalapeno (or diced green chiles)
lemon or lime juice
salt
pepper
some tomatoes
sour cream

Okay so my guac recipe is a little lacking in the measurement department - this is a totally by taste recipe. Any measurements are guesstimates on my part and suit my (and fams) taste. Usually when I make this I omit the jalapeno because The Diva loves it when it's not spicy. I also use my little Black & Decker chopper to make this.

Place avocado (scooped out of the skin and depitted), about a quarter of a medium-sized onion, two cloves of garlic (or one nice big one or 3-4 small ones - this is why I hate measurements), if using jalapeno add it here (if using green chiles from a can, I add it with the sour cream and tomatoes), if using lemon juice I give half a lemon one nice gentle squeeze if using lime juice I give half a lime several hard squeezes, salt and pepper to taste. Blend well in food processor (or other like kitchen tool). Scoop into bowl with room for mixing, add 2 large spoonfuls sour cream and about 3 tbsp diced tomato and gently fold into bowl. Refrigerate until chilled (or tacos are done) and serve with chips, veggies, on tacos or turkey sandwiches (or eat it straight out of the bowl....).

Here's the taco recipe:
1lb. hamburger
1 small can (6 oz? It's the small one you can usually pick up 3/$1) tomato sauce
chili powder
cumin
taco fixings: tortillas, shredded cheese, lettuce, black olives, salsa and sour cream

Brown hamburger and drain fat. Stir in tomato sauce, chili powder and cumin. I probably use about 1 tbsp chili powder and 1/2 tbsp cumin. You can use however much you want, but I think that the flavor balances out the best when using a 2:1 ratio of chili powder to cumin. Heat through and simmer for 5-10 minutes.

Assemble tacos and serve with chips and guac. Oh and a little note about the guac... I use mine within 24 hours. It does look a little brown after the first few hours, but tastes fine.

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...