Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls (ABM)

I have two dinner roll recipes that I like to use. This one is my favorite. The rolls always rise, they're always light and fluffy. I make them two ways: I either form them into rolls (shown here) or I grease the wells of a muffin tin, and divide each of the 12 equal dough pieces into 3 pieces, place 3 dough pieces in each well, allow to rise and bake. You'll see this method when I share my other dinner roll recipe.

3/4 cup water
1 tbsp shortening [I've used butter with great success]
1-1/4 cups bread flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tbsp packed brown sugar
1 tbsp dry milk
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 tsp bread machine yeast

Measure carefully, placing all ingredients in bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer. For my machine, this is all liquids, followed by all dry with yeast last.

Select dough/manual cycle.

Grease large cookie sheet. Punch down dough; place on lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. [For the best instructions on shaping rolls, go here.] Place slightly apart on cookie sheet. Cover and let rise in warm place about 30 minutes or until double.

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Recipe from Betty Crocker's Bread Machine Cookbook 1995

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...