Friday, November 11, 2011

Pumpkin Banana Bread

After slaughtering The Diva's pumpkin and making puree... you might think that makes me a bad mom, but once you taste this bread, you'll understand why sacrifices had to be made. The original recipe called for 1/2 cup mashed banana and 1/4 cup vegetable oil. I'm not the kind of girl who measures mashed banana so I used one whole banana, 2 cups pumpkin puree and skipped the oil completely. It came out very dense and moist... and oh-so-delicious! Oh, a few other tweaks that I made: instead of orange zest I used dried orange peel (the stuff you buy in the spice aisle, not homemade) and I used half the original cloves because I don't really like cloves. If you like cloves then double the amount I have here.
nonstick cooking spray
2 cups all purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp grated orange zest
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 15 oz can pumpkin (or 2 cups homemade puree)
2 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 mashed ripe banana
powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x5 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, orange zest, baking soda, salt, ginger and cloves in a medium bowl.

Stir together pumpkin, eggs, sugar and banana in a large bowl. Stir flour mixture into pumpkin mixture just until combined.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes; remove bread from pan and cool completely. If desired, sprinkle with powdered sugar. Slice bread and serve with Dark Chocolate Butter.

Found in last year's HyVee Seasons magazine.

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...