Saturday, October 22, 2011

Chocolate Mint Cake

First of all, let me apologize. I am not a baker. I try, really, I do. I just lack the patience to go slowly and attend the details, but really I just want it done so I can eat it. Now, you may laugh at my pathetic attemp at 1) a level cake b) smooth frosting without crumbs and pi) purple daisies.

I found this cake at I am Baker (who makes lots of amazing things that I will never attempt, see above) and knew it would be perfect for The Diva's birthday. I patiently waited for four months to make this cake. It was worth it! Oh man, was it worth it. I made a few variations from the recipe, okay, ONE variation. I used a whole banana. I like bananas. I thought I could taste it slightly but it was hard to tell because this cake was SO MINTY. Too minty, actually. The next time I make it I will be reducing the amount of extract to let more of the chocolate flavor come through. Anyways, I even copied attempted I am Baker's idea of green frosting and daisies (on a miniature scale). So, yeah. Here's the recipe...

1 box chocolate cake mix (I used Duncan Hines Chocolate Fudge)
1 cup water
2 sticks butter (softened)
4 eggs
1 ripe banana
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. + 1/4 tsp peppermint extract [next time I'm decreasing to 3/4 Tbsp]
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil


Heat oven to 325 degrees.

Combine all ingredients in a mixer on low for thirty seconds, then increase speed to medium and mix until just combined.

Pour into prepared pans (I used two 9 inch pans) and bake for 30-40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

 Buttercream Frosting:
I used this recipe (also from I am Baker). I used the shortening called out for in this recipe. I should have mixed it a little better, it was a little grainy from the powder sugar, or maybe used a tadbit more milk or shortening, or maybe even a little more vanilla extract as I thought it was rather flavorless. (Or maybe I was just overwhelmed by the cake?) Anyways, I really liked this frosting for decorating. It was easier to use than the canned frosting that I've tried before. I'll be using it again.

4 cups powder sugar
1/2 cup shortening
5 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla

Combine all ingredients in mixer on lowest setting for 30 seconds. Switch to medium high and mix for 2-5 minutes.

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...