Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Lost in a Good Book

Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next, #2)Lost in a Good Book by Jasper Fforde

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I didn't enjoy this book as much as I thought I would (or remembered doing so when I first read it 6 years ago). It seemed a lot of the book was spent on "world creation" and not actual plot development. I thought Thursday was a little more fleshed out in this book than the other. I like the alternate 1985 Fforde has created. The humor and word play was pretty darn good (there were a few that took me a few pages to catch, but still good stuff). I think I missed quite a few literary references - which reminds me how well-read I am not.

Series: Thursday Next Book 2

Synopsis: Thursday Next, literary detective and newlywed is back to embark on an adventure that begins, quite literally on her own doorstep. It seems that Landen, her husband of four weeks, actually drowned in an accident when he was two years old. Someone, somewhere, sometime, is responsible. Having barely caught her breath after The Eyre Affair, Thursday must battle corrupt politicians, try to save the world from extinction, and help the Neanderthals to species self-determination. Mastadon migrations, journeys into Just William, a chance meeting with the Flopsy Bunnies, and violent life-and-death struggles in the summer sales are all part of a greater plan. But whose? and why?

Recommended Reading:
The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde
Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde
First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...