Monday, September 6, 2010

I WANT

It's no secret that I love technology. I love gadgets. I have a kitchen full of cooking gadgets. And there are so many gadgets that I WANT, the only thing holding me back is my pocketbook telling me NO. I want an IPod, but I settled for a $15 mp3 player. I want a Blackberry, but common sense has prevailed on that issue (for the moment) and I'm sticking with my generic cell phone that doesn't do anything except text and talk.

When eReaders first came out, I laughed. I told friends that I would never switch from real books to electronic books. I thought the idea was hokey and they'd never last. However, as eReaders have evolved and the prices have dropped, I WANT. I haven't been able to justify it yet as I have 30 books still on my TBR shelf and, well, the $130 price tag on most of them puts them outside my budget. Factoring in the expense of buying books (I get 99% of mine from paperbackswap.com and 1% from half.com) makes an eReader is even further outside the budget margin. But I WANT.

I looked at a Sony eReader a few months ago. It was hate at first sight. Not intuitive at all. Several of my friends have The Kindle or The Nook and all love it. A friend who has The Kindle and her mother has The Nook has given me her thoughts on both (preferring The Kindle) and also keeps me updated via interesting articles regarding prices, comparisons, etc. I've watched prices drop drastically over the last six months and I expect they will continue to do so. When they drop below $100, I'll seriously start to consider which of the two readers will work the best for me.

In the meantime, I keep my eyes open for giveaways on various blogs that I haunt. This week I found this:
Simply Stacie has teamed up with Luxury Reading to giveaway The Kindle (and a few perks thrown in too).

And for the record, I'll probably never be completely paperless, there's just something about holding a book in my hands and the feel and smell of paper... besides, what would I do with my bookmark collection?

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...