Monday, May 24, 2010

Thirteen Reasons Why

Thirteen Reasons Why Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
What I liked: This book is written in several perspectives. Clay's present life without Hannah, Hannah's tapes and Clay's own memories during Hannah's tapes. The format the book is written in was quite easy to follow. Reading this book was a huge reminder of how circular life is, how often we tread on other people's lives and every action we take creates in a reaction in someone else.

What I didn't like: Hannah seemed a little deeper, a little better at reading people than most adults I know. Some of her comments that the reason should have seemed obvious, didn't to me. For a sixteen year old girl it was a little unbelievable. The plot, overall, while it was an original idea, seemed a little forced at times.

Final Thoughts: I think this book would be a great movie. It reads well and keeps the reader on the edge of the seat waiting for what happens next. The ending stuck with me for awhile, before I realized that there is bitter edge of truth to the ending. It isn't easy to ask for help, and even harder when no one hears you.

Published: October 2007

Synopsis: Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker–his classmate and crush–who committed suicide two weeks earlier.
On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.
Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.

Recommended Reading:
Before I Die by Jenny Downham
Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr
If I Stay by Gayle Forman
Lost It by Kristen Tracy

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...