Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Pizza Rolls

I found this recipe on Pinterest (see, it's not all evil), but I didn't save the link. I found this when I was looking for a variation of pizza for The Spawn. Pizza is one of the few foods he'll eat, so we may eat it up to three times a week. Pizza is not one of my favorite foods, so I was in desparate straits when I gave this recipe a try. The first time I made this, I followed the recipe (shown in the photo) and the bottom of the rolls never fully cooked. So I have done some experimenting and made a few tweaks and now they turn out perfect every time. Both kids get excited when these are on the menu and I've even come to appreciate them.

1 can refrigerated jumbo biscuits
about 3/4 of an 8oz. cheese block cut into 8 cubes, any flavor - we like mild cheddar
16 slices pepperoni
1 egg beaten
2 tbsp parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 to 1 tsp italian seasoning
pizza, marinara or alfredo sauce for dipping

Move oven rack down one space from "typical center". [Okay, has anyone else ever noticed that the "center" of the oven really isn't the center? Drives.me.crazy. Moving on...] Preheat oven to temperature indicated on biscuit container, usually 375°F.

Lightly spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.

Take each biscuit and press it flat with your hand. It shouldn't be thin, just spread out more.

Place one cheese cube and 2 slices of pepperoni in the center of each biscuit. Fold up all the edges around the cheese and pepperoni and pinch closed. These should stay closed well by themselves.

Place each pizza roll with seam end on the cookie sheet and some space between each one.

Brush rolls with beaten egg.

Combine parmesan cheese, garlic powder and italian seasoning. Sprinkle over rolls.

Bake for recommended time on the biscuit package, usually 15 minutes or until tops are lightly browned.

Serve with dipping sauce of choice.

These freeze well uncooked and without the egg/seasoning on them. Allow to thaw in the fridge for one day before baking.

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...