Thursday, October 18, 2012

Oatmeal Milky Way Brownie Bars

Consider this your warning: These are the crack cocaine of all brownies. I found this recipe at I Am Baker. I did bake mine slightly different as I thought her bars looked under-done.

Brownies:
2 cups old fashioned oats (I actually used quick cook and they came out fine)
2 cups flour
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2-1/2 sticks butter, room temperature
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups boxed brownie mix (I used a generic dark chocolate mix)
1/3 cup canola oil
1 egg

Caramel Sauce:
11 oz. bag Kraft caramel bits (I used the regular caramel cubes)
1/2 cup heavy cream (I forgot to buy and used milk + a tablespoon or so of butter)
2 (regular sized) Milky Way candy bars

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl combine oats, flour, baking soda, salt, brown sugar, and butter. Either use a fork (pastry cutter) to incorporate or just use your hands. It's ok if there are some chunks of butter, but no larger than pea-sized.

Add in brownie mix, egg, and oil. Stir until just combined.

Using a prepared 9x13 baking dish, spread half of the oat mixture into the dish and press firmly to flatten. Bake for 10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.

In a medium sauce pan, place Milky Way bars, caramels (wrappers removed if using the cubes), and heavy cream. Allow to simmer over medium to medium low heat until fully melted. Remove from heat and let cool approximately ten minutes. (Make this while first brownie layer is baking. This will allow both the brownie layer and the caramel layer to cool perfectly.)

Pour the caramel sauce over the first brownie layer, making sure to get all the way to the corners.

Top with remaining oat mixture.

Bake for 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.

These froze very well.

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...