Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Cupid Effect

The Cupid EffectThe Cupid Effect by Dorothy Koomson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Oh man. Oh man oh man oh man. This woman can write. Great story, great characters... oh man.

The first thing I notice in every Dorothy Koomson book is that her characters start out completely whole - they are real people with personality. The main character, Ceri, is no exception here. By page six I wanted to be her best friend. Or I just wanted to be her.

The storyline here was less dramatic than I expected, but great nonetheless. It has a supernatural twist that isn't forced or overanalyzed, it just is.

The one thing that still got me was the ending. I said this about the last DK book that I read and it seems to hold true with this one. She could have ended the book with one chapter less and it would have been perfection. The last chapter always seems to be a wrap up the loose ends and give it a happy ending with a big fat pretty bow on it to remind us that it is, after all, just a story.

Still, I give this book five stars feeling it was well earned.

Synopsis: Ceri D'Altroy watches too much Oprah Winfrey - and it's having serious repercussions. Bored with London life and writing yet another 'have the perfect orgasm' feature, she's decided to take Oprah's advice and follow her heart's desire. Going back to college might not be everyone's dream but all Ceri's has ever wanted to do is lecture . . .

Unfortunately, Ceri's new start seems to involve disrupting lives: within days she's reunited a happily uncoupled couple, encouraged her new flatmate to do something about his unrequited love, and outed the secret relationship of her two colleagues. Only, while Ceri's playing Cupid for others, the highlight of her social calendar is trying a new hair conditioner. Something needs to be done, but can Ceri stick to her vow to give up her accidental matchmaking for good. . ?

A delicious comedy about love, life and following your heart...

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...