Monday, January 2, 2012

January's Books

I've been off work since Dec. 22nd. I go back tomorrow, as painful as it's going to be, I'm looking forward to having a structured day again. I had big plans for my time off: finish Christmas shopping, Christmas at two houses, cleaning my house thoroughly, stripping the wall paper in the laundry room, washing light fixtures and reading, reading, reading. I had hoped to get through the books I was currently reading, and possibly read the Stephen King book that has been on my night stand forever... but I was derailed by death. I mean sickness. At one point I was pretty sure I was going to die. Or at least everyone around me was wishing that I would.

When I came back to life three days later, I had to play catch up on a few things. I successfully crossed most things off my list - pretty much everything EXCEPT thoroughly cleaning my house, although I did make a nice dent in it. I even replaced a kitchen faucet. By myself! So now I can use my dishwasher again. I'm feeling kind of spoiled right now - The Boyfriend bought and installed a garage door opener AND a remote car starter for me. What am I going to do with all this free time?!

Oh, anyways, back to the book thing. Instead of finishing the books I was currently reading, I dove into the Book Club selection for January. Because it was HUGE (500+ pages) and I was worried I wouldn't be able to finish it in time when I got back to normal life. Anyways, the point of this is... I forgot. Oh! Yeah. January's reading may not go quite as planned because I have three books to finish and I didn't read the Stephen King book, which is HUGE, so now I'm going to read these in January. The Stephen King book totally qualifies as old because it's been on my shelf for 2-1/2 years. Same for Lenz. The Jodi Picoult book is a little harder to justify, but because I started the book in the "old year", I'm making it work for me. So, without further ado... here is the adjusted book list for January:
  1. Keeping The House by Ellen Baker (Book Club Selection)
  2. Lenz by Georg Buechner
  3. House Rules by Jodi Picoult
  4. Skeleton Crew by Stephen King
  5. The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
  6. Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger
  7. The Starlet by Mary McNamara
  8. The Gifted Gabaldon Sisters by Lorraine Lopez
  9. If You Lived Here You'd Be Home By Now by Claire LaZebnik
  10. My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares
Obviously this is the full list to be split between January and July, but I can pull any book I want out of this list in any order. It's going to be a controlled chaos.

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...