Friday, December 2, 2011

Mom's Chili

This is the way my mom made chili growing up (except with diced tomatoes). One thing that I like about the recipe is that it's kid friendly, but it doesn't take much to jazz it up for adults. You can add green chiles, jalapenos, tobasco sauce, or increase the chili powder - whatever you want to do to increase the heat. The measurements are approximate (I've never actually measured) so adjust as needed.

1 lb. hamburger
1/2 onion chopped fine (my mom shreds her onion with a cheese grater and the anti-veggie sister is none the wiser)
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with roasted garlic and onion
45.5 oz can chili style beans in chili gravy
15 oz can red kidney beans (light or dark), drained and rinsed
16 oz can Bush's Original Baked Beans (yes, it has to be Bush's)
5.5-8 oz can V8 vegetable juice (if you want less sauce, use the small can, if you like more sauce, use the big can, on that note: I use two small cans)
1-1/2 tbsp chili powder
3/4 tbsp cumin
2 bay leaves

Brown hamburger and onion in large pot. Drain grease.

Add remainder of ingredients, mix well and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for a minimum of 20 minutes.

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...