Monday, November 28, 2011

Cheesy Cornbread (ABM)

I've been looking for a good cornbread recipe for the bread machine. I've tried a few and never been satisfied - they were too mealy or too bready or too spicy... This one fits perfectly for what I want to use it for. It's a perfect side dish to chili, it's great with honey and butter. There is cheese in the recipe, but I couldn't pick up on the flavor enough to be overwhelmed, it was a subtle attribute of the bread. I did make a few deviations from the recipe - it called for buttermilk but I screwed up the grocery shopping (again) and failed to get either buttermilk powder or actual buttermilk, so I soured the same amount of milk with 2 tbsp of white vinegar. I also  used colby jack cheese instead of cheddar - and really I think you could use any kind of cheese, even Mexican flavored cheese for a little extra spice. This is the recipe for 1-1/2lb loaf.

1-1/4 cups buttermilk
2 tsp shortening
3 cups bread flour
3/4 cup shredded cheese
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp dry yeast

Place ingredients in order in bread pan. Select 1-1/2lb size, light crust and basic bread setting. Start machine.

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...