Thursday, September 8, 2011

White Chocolate Berry Dessert

There are no pictures. Long story short, my camera took an unplanned swim this summer and has not yet been replaced. I will be updating the posts with pictures, as well as posting about my new-to-me kitchen, hopefully in the next few weeks. SOON! In the meantime, take my word for it, this cake is pretty and delicious!

My aunt gave me this recipe after she made it for her daughter's bridal shower. I've put the recipe here as she sent it to me, but note that I did make a few changes which didn't affect the cake at all. First of all, white chocolate is only available in 6 oz. boxes (or at least the stores that I shop), so I always buy two boxes and cut 1 oz. of chocolate from each layer. The other change that I often make is that if strawberries are not in season (read: expensive as hell) I use sliced frozen strawberries. I simply thaw them completely in the fridge, dump the container in a strainer to remove as much liquid as possible (I don't rinse) and follow the recipe instructions. This cake is perfect for entertaining because you can bake the cake the day before and add the topping the day of your party.

Bottom Layer:
8 squares (1 oz. each) white baking chocolate
6 tbsp butter, cubed
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
3 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a microwave safe bowl, melt white chocolate and butter at 70% power. Stir until smooth. Cool. In mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar until lemon-colored. Beat in melted chocolate mixture and vanilla. Combine flour and salt; beat into egg mixture. Spread in greased 12x9x2 inch baking dish; set aside.

Filling:
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
3 squares (1 oz. each) white baking cocolate, melted and cooled
1 egg lightly beaten
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and white chocolate. Beat in the egg, sugar, sour cream and vanilla until combined. Carefully spread over bottom layer. Cut through filling and bottom layer with a knife to swirl. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

Topping:
8 oz. Cool Whip, thawed
4 squares (1 oz. each) white baking chocolate, melted and cooled
1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced

Before serving, fold Cool Whip into white chocolate. Fold in strawberries. Spread over dessert.

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...