Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Shack

The ShackThe Shack by William P. Young

I can't even rate this book. That's how much I did NOT like it. I tried. Really. I walked in with the mantra "open mind open mind open mind". It wasn't even the story that bothered me, it was the writing. It was terrible I couldn't get past the first two chapters. So, first, I always have a problem with stories that start in the middle, drag you back to the beginning and then finish in the future. It's a stupid writing hook. If a story is good, tell it from beginning to end. Second, there was this stupid "The Great Sadness" line that was repeated over and over and over. Seriously, I got it, okay? Something bad happened to his daughter and he's depressed. Third, the metaphors! Every description was a metaphor. Not even good metaphors. I give this writer and epic.fail for writing a crappy book.

Synopsis: Mackenzie Allen Philips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever.

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...