Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Host

The Host The Host by Stephenie Meyer

My review
rating: 3 of 5 stars
I tried to go into this book with an open mind, but I kept waiting for the obsession that took over me with the Twilight series to happen. It didn't. This book was easy to fall into, and once I allowed myself to be confused about the plot (my confusion only lasted the first 30 pages, then everything was explained and made sense) it was well done in it's own right. Still disappointed my expectations of the author of the Twilight series.

A good book in it's own right, light Sci-Fi, heavy on emotion and human actions. An original plot - not that I read much Sci-Fi to acurately judge - but some of the characters fell flat. They were too one-sided and lacked dimension. A lot of good plot space was taken up with mundane details.

Pub. Date: May 2008

Synopsis: Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of their human hosts while leaving their bodies intact, and most of humanity has succumbed.

Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, knew about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the too vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of the man Melanie loves - Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer yearns for a man she's never met. As outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off to search for the man they both love.

Recommended Reading:
Prom Nights from Hell by Meg Cabot, Kim Harrison, Michele Jaffe, Lauren Myracle, Stephenie Meyer
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments Series #1) by Cassandra Clare

No comments:

Book Review: Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee

 Finished August 4, 2020 Book 11 of 20 Shadow Baby by Alison McGhee My rating: 1 of 5 stars I'm leaving this one unfinished, about h...